Christopher Kane, Jonathan Saunders, Louise Goldin, Alexander McQueen, Meadham Kirchhoff, Sophia Kokosalaki, Celia Birtwell, Kate Moss… the list of people Topshop has worked with over the years reads like a who’s who of British fashion’s brightest lights.
Topshop started life in 1964 as Peter Robinson's Topshop, a fashion brand within the Sheffield branch of the Peter Robinson Ltd chain. By the 1970s Topshop had become a stand-alone store, and in 1994 it settled into its permanent home, 214 Oxford Street.
Majoring in up-to-the-minute affordable style, Topshop’s brave and irreverent approach has endeared the brand to fashion-conscious shoppers and industry insiders alike, all of whom delight in the store's cult status whilst enjoying its accessibility and buzzy atmosphere.
Topshop is the single biggest supporter of emerging design talent in the UK. The brand has sponsored the New Generation scheme at London Fashion Week for a decade, one of the world’s most internationally recognised fashion design talent schemes, in addition to sponsoring Fashion East since 2003. Topshop is also the only high street brand to show on schedule at London Fashion Week with in-house designed Unique.
And it isn’t just clothes Topshop is known for. From Topshop Make Up and Freedom jewellery to bags and shoes, Topshop has got every other base covered too.
With more than 300 stores across the UK, over 250,000 shoppers visiting the frankly jaw-dropping Oxford Circus flagship every week, and over 140 stores in international territories, it’s no exaggeration to say that Topshop is a shopping institution.
DID YOU KNOW...
- Always a brand about firsts, Topshop naturally took to the digital revolution quick as a flash. The long-established topshop.com, which attracts 1.9 million users per week, is now joined by an award-winning blog, Inside-Out, tweets straight from head office, a much-updated Facebook page and the recently launched Topshop Tumblr. So, wherever you are and whatever you’re doing, you can bring Topshop along for the ride.
- Topshop’s make-up line goes along the same principles as the fashion: great classics, and innovative, fun add-ons to appeal to every kind of girl. All featuring charming packaging with hand-drawn detailing, look out for trend collections every season, where catwalk looks are interpreted. With past collections including the dramatic, kohl-centric Heavy Duty and vivid, festival-ready Sandstorm, as well as the current bronzed Seventies glamour of Smoke & Mirrors, Topshop Make Up is a welcome addition to any dressing table.
- Everybody needs a little help sometimes – Topshop knows this and has introduced the Personal Shopping service. Because they also know that no two Topshop customers are completely alike, Personal Shoppers are pretty unique too. That way, there’s no doubt someone in store will ‘get’ you, and your style. They can actually get you the product too – with an encyclopaedic knowledge of what’s in store at any one time, they can swiftly find exactly what you’re looking for, whether it’s a birthday treat, an update for the new season, a bag that will take you from the office to a cocktail bar or an outfit ready for the latest festival. It’s not a one-time-only offer either – Topshop customers can build up relationships with their Personal Shoppers, and be notified when pieces they might like come in store. Basically, it’s like having a best shopping friend and a super-stylist all rolled into one, on hand at all times. What could be better than that?
- You’re in good company too. Celebrities regularly use the Personal Shopping service at the Oxford Circus store. You don’t need to be in London, though. Personal Shopping in available at stores throughout the UK – in Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Glasgow, Edinburgh, New York, Chicago, Las Vegas and Los Angeles. Book your appointment and get ready to feel like a star.
- Topshop is integral to London Fashion Week – as well as showcasing the brand’s Unique line, they support young designers and initiatives who might not otherwise have the opportunity to show via the NEWGEN and Fashion East schemes. Topshop also offers select designers the use of the Topshop Show Space, now an essential destination for international editors during Fashion Week.
- Topshop is a byword for diversity. Firm in the belief that each customer is an individual, we work hard to offer style solutions for all eventualities. From the Tall and Petite ranges to Boutique classics and vintage treasure, our eye for brilliant design is what sets us apart from the rest.